Sunday, June 19, 2016

Royal Air Force Blue Ham unique experience today

A unique experience this weekend. Contacting militairy stations on 60m instead of other hamradio operators. Unfortenately I only had about a hour to try. And luckely worked 3 stations. It was nice to experience and I found the stations I talked to were not that strong but very good readable as the articulation was very good. Very correct as well always repeating my callsign before transmission and ending with "over". Militairy style radio is so different from what we are used to. I don't think they use Q codes like we do. Viewing the map the activity was most of the time within the UK. Although Dutch, Danish, Irish and even a Polish station has been worked. Not shure if the green spots at sea are correct, although it could be ships.

Stations worked:

Callsign: MRE43
Norfolk&Suffolk Wing Air Cadet  Organisation

Callsign: MRE80
Army Cadet Force/Combined Cadet Force Team Lead

Callsign: MRE67
Harlow Wing Air Cadet Organisation

In the Netherlands we are only secundairy users of the 60m band. The militairy is the primairy user and we should not interfere with their transmissions. This was a nice event to show that HAMradio operators and the militairy can share radiofrequencies. 2016 could be the only year that this unique event was possible as next year we probabely get new rules. Only 15 KHz of the 60m band and max. power output of 15W. In such a small spectrum there will be no room for this kind of events. I'm glad I'm able to do this at this time of "history". It is probabely something I will remember over the years.




4 comments:

Photon said...

Congratulations on the 60m contacts! I heard one PA station who was very strong indeed in mid-morning.

I did hear a few pseudo-complaints that there were not as many MRE (cadet) stations active as had been expected. One operator had decided to try for the award, sitting there all day, but only found eleven stations! I managed four, I think. Because cadets are fairly young, most stations were QRT quite early in the late afternoon.

The QSO map was not as 'live' as I had expected; it hardly seemed to change for hours on end!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Thanks for the reply. I was only active for about a hour. So I really cannot tell anything about activity. I kept an eye on the frequency list but it was not really accurate as well as the map not really live. It seems the logs were uploaded every hour or so, not automatic. However, it was a interesting activity. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,
Dit zijn natuurlijke unieke verbindingen die niet iedere dag gebeuren. Proficiat! Leuk dat jij er nog 3 hebt kunnen werken.
Helaas had ik beide dagen geen tijd maar mogelijk wordt deze oefening ooit nog een keer gedaan. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, dit was een uniek event vanwege de viering van het 75 jaar bestaan van het cadet corps. Dus denk niet dat het nog eens gaat gebeuren. Daarnaast hebben we volgend jaar waarschijnlijk nog maar 15KHz over van de 60m band waar we op mogen zenden. Dan word de kans wel heel erg klein. 73, Bas