Sunday, April 17, 2016

VK0EK on WSPR

 Link: http://vk0ek.org/2016/02/21/follow-the-2016-heard-island-expedition-on-wspr/

I have been on 30m WSPR a lot when VK0EK was on from Heard Island and actually hoped for some spots. But unfortunateley VK0EK has been spotted only by a few in Europe. I even came to the point that I mailed via DXA to find out if the WSPR beacon was still on (after a few days without any spot activity at all). I don't know what the antenna was they used but if you spotted the beacon you got a very very good receiver/antenna and low noise I guess. I was not a bad listener on 30m WSPR (high in the list at PE1ITR WSPR challenge page) with my horizontal loop but I missed the VK0EK WSPR signal. The only one that received VK0EK when on Heard Isl. from the Netherlands was PI4THT from the University of Twente.

A little late I thought of the WSPR map that can be created online. So I miss some spots I guess. May be someone else has the complete list of unique stations that spotted VK0EK? Anyway, it's still interesting. It's also interesting that the beacon is still on now while the DXpedition crew is returning at the ship (MV Braveheart) signing as VK0EK from several different grids from were the ship is at the moment.However, I have no illusion receiving them with my vertical since the loop isn't up anymore.

10 comments:

Ark said...

Hi Bas. Good Luck with WSPR signal to catch. I was very lucky to get them on 30M as ZL/VK0LD/MM with 100W from rare NE grid few nights ago. 73
Ark EI9KC

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ze zitten alleen op 30 m? Vandaag dacht ik toch echt dat mijn antenne kapot was. Op 30m en 20m WSPR geen enkele spot ontvangen of gespot en op 40 m slechts 1x gespot. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Ark, I've no illusion that I'll receive anything from them on WSPR. My antenna is just too low for that. But it is interesting though. I'm still high in the PE1ITR challenge list but distance wise I'm not. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, dat ligt puur aan de WSPR server. Ik krijg er vaak ook geen spots uit. Vandaag ben ik toch door heel wat stations gezien. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Volgens zijn er weer problemen bij die server. Het ging even een tijdje goed.

Photon said...

The relative position of the EU to VK0EK is not at all ideal for the best propagation enhancements to take effect. But in a relatively low noise environment, there's no reason why a simple vertical on both ends should not get the signal across quite easily. Unfortunately, I didn't realise they were WSPR-active, so didn't even listen on 30m. Ah well...

Hans said...

Erg vreemd met die WSPR server. Gisteren "volle bak" en vandaag genoeg gespot maar niemand heeft mij gespot. De FT-817/WSPR is tijdelijk QRT (ivm portable activiteiten vanmiddag)tot vanavond 19:00 uur.
En een spot van VK0EK zit er tot op heden ook nog niet bij hi. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, heb je ook niet in mijn lijst ontdekt. Maar goed de WSPR data site is een beetje.....down geloof ik. De oude database site werkt nog wel. VK0EK zal inmiddels wel QRT zijn denk ik. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

There are always chances to hear something you don't expect. I'm quite active at the moment on 30m WSPR. But missed some important beacons just because I was not on right at the moment. 73, Bas

Unknown said...

May be someone else has the complete list of unique stations that spotted VK0EK? Anyway, it's still interesting.

Anyway, it's still interesting.