Thursday, April 16, 2015

Admin



Usually the time after the CQ WPX is to spend at the computer to do some QSL administration. A lot of eQSL was waiting. I installed the new LOTW software and also did need a new certificate for validation. Besides that, my log (old HRD) is not supporting the JT9 mode and there is no possebility to add it like in the newer HRD logbook. So I have to change everything by hand. I did try some more updated logbook programs but still find the old version 4 HRD logbook best for my needs. It took some more time this year as I have all kind of other projects going on here in the house. No radiotime at all, but that doesn't matter as propagation was not that good lately.

One of the projects and
going on
After the administration I had to upload the log to several sites. I upload the log to eQSL, LOTW, Clublog, Hamlog, QRZCQ and QRZ.com. This way I'm always certain I have a back-up of the log online spread out at several sites. Besides that people can look into my log to see if I worked them at several places.

When viewing the eQSL cards I always come across most interesting designs which are shown above. eQSL is my most favorite way of QSLing. It's fast and you're free to design a card yourself (if you made a donation to eQSL!). I found that lately especially russians have designed very nice looking cards.

For overview and statistics Clublog is a must. It is very clear what countries you worked and which ones I need to send QSL to to get them confirmed. A super handy thing is the OQRS (QSL request via internet) build into the QSL charts page. I did at least 6 requests for QSL via bureau via this system.

Signing the log
I have to admit that the new TQSL software from the ARRL LOTW program is a lot easier to use then before. Very handy it uploads the log automatically. The LOTW program is least populair here as it is pure administrative. Calls, dates, times....nothing graphical, no emotion. Don't like it at all but use it to confirm and validate a contact for those that obey the validation rules by ARRL-LOTW.

QSL administration needs valuable time but is part of our hobby just as making QSOs or homebrewing radio gear.


2 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, ik gebruik alleen maar eQSL, voor mij is dat prima. Ik geef op QRZ.com duidelijk aan dat ik niet aan papieren QSL's doe. Toch krijg ik nog regelmatig QSL kaarten via de QSL manager binnen. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, eQSL is ook mijn favoriet. Papieren QSL krijg ik ook nog stapels binnen maar van mij hoeft het niet meer. In deze tijd is het niet meer nodig en alleen verspilling. Ik hoop dat het papieren gedoe de komende jaren wat minder word. 73, Bas