Monday, March 2, 2015

CQWW 160m SSB contest last weekend

It has been 2007 when I last participate in this contest. I then was the only participant on SSB from the Netherlands and of course got first place! Actually the time this contest is on (best at night) is a good thing when you haven't got much radio time at daylight. I mainly participate this time to work HV0A from the Vatican as a new band one. I managed to work HV0A after a hour or so. I stopped at 100 QSOs sunday evening. Now I read the rules afterwards (stupid me!) and it is not allowed for single operator low power to use any assistance. And of course I did, and so did many others according to the "logs received" page of the CQ 160 contest .

So that leaves me with a choice of high power assisted only. That is probabely why they put me in multi-op section in 2007. Another handicap at least for dutch operators was occurring as well to me, we are not allowed to transmit above 1880 KHz though other countries can operate till 2000KHz. So dutch operators can never seriously take part in the 160m SSB contest as they just miss too many multipliers and QSOs. I heard HK1T (Colombia) with S9 sunday night but it was above 1880 KHz so it was not possible to try and make a QSO. Anyway it suprised me that I managed to create a small pile-up and even got spotted on a DX cluster. I switched between the loop fed as endfed and the vertical, although I had the idea both antennas produced a identical signal. In the end I worked 30 different DXCC. It has been a long time I made so many QSOs on 160m in one weekend and it was certainly fun!


4 comments:

pa0o said...

leuk verslag
Ja de 160m band beperking is in PA vooral in phone een handicap
Ik heb me er helemaal niet aan het splatter festijn deelgenomen.
De band word gedomineerd door een aantal stations die 48uur lang "hun" frequentie met alle middelen verdedigen.
Een niet te schoon signaal houd de concurrentie wat op afstand.
Met CW wil een lekker klik ook wel helpen.
Met Phone barst het smale bandje helemaal uit zijn voegen.
Als er al DX te horen is JA b.v. dan is dat alleen een prooi voor de mega stations.

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, 160 meter staat natuurlijk bekend als de QRO band bij uitstek. Maar waarom? Daarom probeer ik toch met QRP (WSPR) om te zien wat mogelijk is. Jouw resultaten op 160 meter zijn natuurlijk erg goed. Gebruikte jij 100 watt? Afijn, die award is binnen ;-) 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Jaap, heb weinig last gehad van splatter. Maar dat zal wel komen door het slechte antennesysteem dat ik gebruik ;-). Inderdaad heb ik ook nog even overdag geluisterd, normaal hoor je dan helemaal niets op die band. Maar nog steeds zaten er een aantal europese stations te roepen. Kan me niet voorstellen dat de rate dan erg hoog ligt. Het mooist is natuurlijk de greyline op die band. Maar helaas kon ik toen niet voor de radio aanwezig zijn behalve zondagmorgen, toen had ik ook een aardige rate rond dat tijdstip. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, ik heb met QRP op 160m alleen goede resulaten op digimodes. Afgelopen PACC geroepen met 5W maar werd alleen maar door buurtstation PI4H gehoord. Ik zat dus met 100W. Dat certificaat is uit 2007. Ik werkte toen met een verkorte sloper met capacity hat op het laagste punt. Met de mast als tegencapaciteit. Dat werkte wel aardig. Maar de CQ 160 SSB is niet echt een contest waar ik zo weer aan mee zou doen, daarvoor is het niet interessant genoeg. 73, Bas