Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The end of Windows XP

Officially Windows XP has it's end of lifetime today. My good old laptop with Windows XP tablet edition will be worthless! Is it? Microsoft did even update my laptop with the April 8th notification. Computers with Windows XP would not be safe anymore....was Windows ever safe? This update told me I had to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or if my computer will not eat that I'll better look for a new laptop. Just buy a new computer? I just don't have the money for it, not for a upgrade, not for a new computer. I wonder if XP just stop? That would be the end of my blog! I found this fun picture somewhere, it seems Microsoft have invented the wheel again with Windows 8, it really is not my thing. Although there are alternative desktop workaround programs around. A nice read is a story from Hans PD0AC on his other blog "Sacred Silicon". In the mean time I hope my old laptop with XP, virusscanner and extra firewall will continue to function.


Officieel is het einde Windows XP vandaag. Mijn oude laptop met Windows XP tablet edition is in 1 klap waardeloos. Is dat wel zo? Microsoft deed zelfs een update met 8 April melding. Computers met Windows XP zullen vanaf die datum niet meer veilig zijn......was Windows veilig dan? Deze update vertelde me dat ik naar Windows 8.1 moest upgraden en als mijn computer dat niet wou eten dan werd het tijd voor een nieuwe computer. Gewoon even een nieuwe computer kopen? Ik heb daar helemaal geen geld voor en ook niet voor een opwaardering van de software. Ik vraag me af of XP nu gewoon stopt? Dat zou het einde betekenen van deze blog! Ik vond nog een leuk plaatje, het blijkt dat Microsoft met Windows 8 gewoon het wiel nog een keer heeft uitgevonden, het is niet echt mijn ding. Alhoewel er wel alternatieve bureaubladen te krijgen zijn. Een leuk verhaal kan je lezen op het andere blog van Hans PD0AC "Sacred Silicon". In de tussentijd hoop ik dat mijn oude laptop met XP, virusscanner en extra firewall zal blijven functioneren.

12 comments:

PC1I said...

Die laptop gaat wel door hoor...
Er komen alleen geen updates meer voor XP.
Je loopt wel kans dat software bedrijven nu ook XP links laten liggen en geen updates meer doen voor bijvoorbeeld jouw virusscanner. Dan zou overstappen naar Linux een optie kunnen zijn. Daar kun je weer software in installeren waarmee je een pc emuleert (VMware player of VirtualBox). Daar dan de radio software draaien en de risico zaken (louche sites bezoeken) binnen Linux doen.
Verbaas je er niet over dat de geemuleerde versie XP sneller draait als direct op de laptop... ;-) (Installatie duurt vaak wel lang op een oudere laptop)

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Kees, ik heb wel eens Linux Mint en Ubuntu geïnstalleerd op een oude computer. Dat werkte heel redelijk. Ik zou er mee moeten gaan experimenteren. Helaas is die oude laptop wel mijn "hoofd" computer voor het loggen en contact met LOTW. Dus de boel formatten doe ik ook niet zo ff. Daarnaast had ik een speciale tablet editie van XP voor de sturing van het touchscreen beeldscherm. Weet niet of Linux dit ook doet? 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, yes it has come to an end and was one of the hold outs with WinXP. It runs great on my PC and I refused to us Vista (had it pre-installed on a laptop and hated it) It's time for me to upgrade, I have noticed that lots of ham software runs with Windows 7 and I a looking in that direction. I do have 2 mac pc's but have tried and not to much ham related software out there for mac. I also have Ubuntu on another laptop and it's great but again very limited when it comes to have radio. Oh well time to do some thinking I guess.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, the desktop computer in the shack runs Vista. Not that I like it. But so far it holds. I would prefer W7. There are many nice programs that can be used on the Mac and Linux. But most of the populair freeware only runs on Windows computers. So, I guess I stick with Windows. I have to admit that Linux becomes more populair over time in the HAMradio world so I keep that one in mind. 73, Bas

This Winding Road said...

Howdy, Bas! Well, I like XP as well and I felt having a computer that does not necessarily need the internet (like a shack computer devoted entirely to contesting) would be just fine. I like Windows 7, I have Windows 8 and hate it! About a year ago, I purchased (from eBay) two full versions of Windows 7 Professional. I'm replacing XP with that. I've run most of my ham programs on Windows 7 without any problems. I refuse to upgrade to 8! You could also do a dual boot, install Windows 7 and leave XP for radio related stuff, too. All good things must come to an end but there are TONS of XP computers out there currently and I'm sure for a long time to come.

Dick said...

I have an XP laptop in the usa. Do not use it for anything other than listening to streaming audio and playing pre-recorded MP3 CDs of old radio programs. No e-mail or "important" requirements. When it dies, it dies.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Phil, even a computer devoted to contesting needs the internet for DXcluster. Although it is also possible via packetradio of course if in range. I'm shure my old laptop will not smootly run Windows 7, just too slow. I'm thinking about Linux Mint in dual boot. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Good one Dick. If there is no internet connection you don't have to worry. What is in the end important on a computer? I lost some of my collected info on computers several times. And still I am alive...73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, gewoon lekker vrolijk verder gaan met XP, maar wel met een goede virusscanner zoals b.v. AVG. In de shack staat een XP laptop voor HF en een XP-pc voor de sats. Hierop draaien veel (oude) hamprogramma's. Ook staat er een PC met Win-7 maar die pikt een hoop hamprogramma's niet.
De laptop waar ik beneden op werk was Win-8 die ik omgezet heb naar Win-7.
Gelukkig kan ik nu ook mijn FT817 aansturen voor WSPR, WSJT en JT65 etc.
Maar Satscape voor mijn hamsats draait er niet op. Nee, ik ben blij met mijn XP machientjes en blijf ze lekker gebruiken. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

This Winding Road said...

Bas, I prefer non-assisted so I really don't need the cluster. I will load Win-test and N1MM and it will be used for nothing other than contesting. But yes, if you get away from Windows and head over to Linux or another OS, you won't have to worry about the vulnerability. I just finished my 2nd upgrade to Windows 7 Professional here tonight, both laptops. I'm only hoping my XP machine holds out for a few more years ;0)

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hans, ik heb alle Windows versies (sinds 1.0!) gebruikt met een virusscanner en extra firewall. Ik wist gewoon niet beter dan dat Windows het onveiligste OS is ooit gemaakt ;-). Ik type dit nog gewoon op m'n XP machientje, hij doet het nog steeds. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Phil, indeed if non-assisted contesting without internet is fine. In that case XP will be more then enough OS. I run Windows 7 prof. on my job and like it very much. Did you know it has a built in virtual XP mode on board. I use it on the job to view old programs with exploded diagrams of machines from the past. 73, Bas