Monday, January 20, 2014

QRPp: Low lower lowest

Inspired by G3XBM and of course PA1B I tried WSPR with QRPp this weekend. Started with 500mW at 40M and was still spotted in VK. Then tried 100mW and was still spotted in the US by N2OTO distance 7488 km. I decided to go for approx. 50mW. Not exactly as it is at the beginning of the scale of my pwr meter and that's normally not too exact. So it could be 20mW but also 70mW. Anyway I was still spotted in Scotland, a distance of 842km. However, Roger G3XBM was complaining about his antenna being not good for 40m but the power he used was 10x lower as I used. He was spotted in Italy at IZ3ATV a distance of 1131 km. I tried to spot Roger's 5mW signal but could not spot him at all although he gave me some excellent reports so the path was open! That means my receive is not as good as I always thought! Today I tried 10M with 50mW. Not with the vertical I normally use but with the horizontal loop. The reason for that is that I received a asiatic russian station this morning with S1 on the vertical and S8 on the loop. So I was curious if the loop would do a good job, and it did. I was received at 4X1RF almost the whole day but more important I got 1 spot from KB9AMG distance 6610 km. Now a project  could be a homemade QRPp power meter so I can actually measure the low power. Another project could be a attenuator with a TX/RX switch, PA1SDB suggested something with switching diodes. Anyone an idea how to build such a thing?

Geïnspireerd door G3XBM en natuurlijk PA1B heb ik dit weekend eens WSPR geprobeerd met QRPp. Begonnen werd met 500mW op 40M en daarmee werd ik gelijk gespot in VK. Daarna omlaag naar 100mW, nog steeds goed voor een spot van N2OTO afstand 7488 km. Besloten werd om ongeveer 50mW te produceren. Niet exact want het meten gebeurd onderin de analoge schaal en ik meet de helft van het eerste streepje (100mW) dat is natuurlijk nooit erg exact. Dus het zou 20mW maar ook 70mW kunnen zijn. Maar goed, ik werd nog steeds gezien in Schotland een afstand van 842 km. Roger G3XBM klaagde op zijn blog dat zijn antenne niet goed was voor 40m maar het vermogen dat hij gebruikte was 5mW en dat is nog altijd 10x zo laag als wat ik uitzond. Hij werd gespot in Italië door IZ3ATV een afstand van 1131 km. Wat ik ook probeerde ik kon Roger zijn signaal niet zien terwijl hij mij prima rapporten gaf. Het pad was dus open! Dat betekend dat ik niet zo goede ontvangst heb als ik altijd dacht! Vandaag probeerde ik 10M met 50mW. Niet met de verticale antenne zoals ik normaal gebruik maar met de horizontale loop. De reden hiervoor is dat ik vanochtend een station uit aziatisch rusland met S1 op de vertical hoorde en met S8 op de loop. Dus was ik nieuwsgierig of de loop ook goed zo presteren. Ik werd bijna de hele dag ontvangen door 4X1RF maar belangrijker nog ik kreeg 1 spot van KB9AMG afstand 6610 km. Een leuk project zou nou zijn om een power meter om te bouwen naar QRPp meter zodat ik de milliWatts echt af kan lezen. Een ander leuk project zou zijn een verzwakker met een TX/RX schakelaar, PA1SDB deed me suggestie van iets met diode's die schakelen. Iemand een idee hoe zoiets te bouwen?



11 comments:

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,
Leuke WSPR testen op 10m. Vanmiddag ook hier even laten lopen, maar dan met 2W in de horizontale multiband endfed. Bijna allemaal VS. Gisteren met 1W en 500mW was ik nergens hoorbaar. Zal wel aan de horizontale antenne liggen.
Morgen zal ik de GFK mast eens opzetten met een 10mb endfed vertikaal. En dan het vermogen per kwartier terug laten zakken tot in de mW. Kijken of dat betere resultaten geeft. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, nog even reactie op je laatste deel.
Qrpp wattmeters staan wel op internet. Meestal kits.
Je kunt met kleine relais makkelijk schakelen tussen RX en TX + verzwakker.Met diodes vind ik persoonlijk te link.
Anders vraag Bert PA1b eens, die werkt uitsluitend met verzwakkers.
Succes, 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, nice to read you are catching the QRPp bug it is very exciting to see how far you can get with very little power. As for a switching attenuator I will be very interested in that. With my attenuator as with most in attenuates both transmit and receive.
Mike

This Winding Road said...

Once I find my interface cable for my Icom, I plan on running some WSPR myself from this QTH. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the digital modes!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Ben benieuwd Hans naar de resultaten. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Geen idee of diodes link zijn. Een relais is een beproefde methode en eenvoudig te maken. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, a TRX switch is easy to make. As most transceivers switch 12V to ground. Just ad a relay parallel to the PTT line with 12V in.
The thing is that another idea is to switch with diodes so you don't need a separate relay. Using a external VOX would be another idea, I got one in my digital modem. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Would be nice to see if we could see your signals again in Europe on WSPR Phil. 73, Bas

Hans said...

Werd niks vandaag. Wel WSPR op 7Mhz laten draaien met 200mW. Waarschijnlijk nog minder hi. 73 Hans

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Bas, just take a simple 10 dB with 500 mW from the TX to make 50 mW. A simple 10 dB attenuator with 6 resistors, as shown on: http://pa1b-qrp.blogspot.nl/p/10-db-power-attenuators.html
I advise to send and receive through the attenuator for simplicty.
73, Bert

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Bert, I don't trust resistors. Sometimes their values alter when getting warm. So who says you have exactly 50mW then? I would like to measure things. So far I seen only one power meter that could and that is the WM-2 from Oak Hills Research. However it is a little expensive. 73, Bas