Thursday, October 14, 2010

Quick Sony repair and solar powered contesting

Sony ICF2001 mint condition
(Picture from internet)
In a large box at the attic I found my old Sony ICF2001 SW receiver. I purchased this one at the radio rally nearby a few years ago with the intention to look after it. But after we moved I actually almost forgot I still had one. I want to use the radio to see were the interference I have on HF is coming from. The keypad wasn't responding. Luckely enough this radio is easy to take apart and some compressed air and contactcleaner did the job. I was actually surprised I could receive some stations on 40m and 20m just on the telescopic whip. 
Last week I got a personal invation to take part in the LZ open 80m spint contest this is a CW contest. The nice thing is that they have a new category for solar powered stations. I haven't got time this Saturday but it shure would be a nice challenge.


Dusty (rusty) keypad inside the Sony
Op zolder vond ik onder in een verhuisdoos nog mijn oude Sony ICF2001 kortegolf ontvanger. Deze heb ik een paar jaar geleden op het N.A.T. gekocht met de bedoeling het ding een keer na te kijken. Maar ach, na de verhuizing is het er niet meer van gekomen. Nu moest het toch maar eens gebeuren omdat ik het ding wil gebruiken om de vervelende brom storing op kortegolf op te sporen. Het toetsenbord weigerde en eigenlijk alle toetsen deden het slecht. gelukkig is de radio vrij snel en makkelijk uit elkaar te halen en een beetje perslucht en wat contactspray deed wonderen. Ondertussen draait de radio weer als een zonnetje. Het valt me best mee wat ik er allemaal mee kan ontvangen en dat gewoon op het telescoop sprietje. 
Afgelopen week kreeg ik een persoonlijke uitnodiging voor deelname aan de LZ open 80m sprint contest, dat is een contest in CW. Het bijzondere van deze contest is dat ze een categorie zonne energie gevoede stations hebben. Helaas heb ik geen tijd Zaterdag, maar het leek me wel een leuke uitdaging.

4 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, leuke Sony radio. Ik heb ook zoiets ergens liggen. Die neem ik mee als ik op vakantie ga om de Wereld omroep te beluisteren. Ik hoop dat het lukt om de storingsbron op te sporen. Met de ingebouwde ferriet antenne kan je meestal op de middengolf de storingsbron opsporen. Bijvoorbeeld een defecte spaarlamp. Of defecte dimschakelaar, ook berucht. Succes, Paul

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, it's nice when you can get something working again. Do post your interference investigation using the sony radio as well.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

I'll be investigating the interference tomorrow and shure will post my experiences. I hope it is a source from my own home so I can solve the problem. 73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Great radio...would love to get my hands on one of these. Especially nice when you can bring one back to life.