Monday, December 16, 2013

10m ARRL contest review

Normally when I got time for the hobby it's still dark or it's already dark and so there are no conditions on 10m. With the ARRL 10m contest on this weekend this is my chance to work some DX on my favorite band. All available time was spend in the ARRL 10m contest this Sunday. I wish I could spend a couple of hours more, but in the end together with the hour QRP from the car at Saturday I think I participate for about 4 hours. I only did SSB and luckely there was enough to contact. I managed to make 122 QSOs at the end. Actually some of the DX surprised me and some were too busy with the pile-up. For instance V55V was a constant 5/8 here the whole time but I didn't manage to get through. I worked fellow blogger Franki OQ5M for the first time on backscatter with a lot of echo here, it was a difficult contact but we managed to exchange the numbers. I shot a video from his signal (first take), it was really that hard and it's amazing what a human ear & brain can filter out when experienced. Second take is Franki's signal in the afternoon which was a lot better and without echo. Sorry for the video quality, my mobile phone is not a good camera.

More DX: QRP from the car: A61ZX (UAE), HI3CC (Dominican Rep.), KP4EU (Puerto Rico)
From base: D4C (Cape Verde), VK2GGC (Australia), 8P2K (Barbados), PT3T (Brazil), NP2X (US Virgin Isl.), XE3/K5ENS (Mexico)*, ZF1A (Cayman Isl.)*, K0RF (Colorado, USA)*

* appear in the video


Normaal als ik tijd heb om met de hobby bezig te gaan is het nog donker of het is al donker. De 10m band is dan dicht. Met de ARRL 10m contest dit weekend had ik eindelijk kans om wat DX te werken op mijn favoriete bandje. Zondag heb ik alle tijd die ik had in de contest gestoken en toch had ik nog wel wat meer tijd willen hebben. Alles bij elkaar heb ik inclusief het uur QRP vanuit de auto zaterdag ongeveer 4 uur mee gedaan. Ik deed alleen mee op SSB en heb toch nog 122 QSO's kunnen maken. Er was genoeg te werken en ook de DX was aanwezig, sommige wat drukker dan de ander. V55V bijvoorbeeld kwam de hele tijd met 5/8 binnen, maar ik kwam gewoon niet door de pile-up. ik heb mede blogger OQ5M Franki ook voor het eerst kunnen werken via backscatter. Het was een beetje moeizaam QSO met veel echo en splatter. Kijk maar eens naar de video die ik erna van zijn signaal maakte (eerste beeld). Het is ongelooflijk wat een menselijk oor en brein kan wegfilteren als je een beetje ervaren bent. Het 2e beeld laat Franki's signaal 's middags horen, dat was een stuk beter toen. Sorry voor de kwaliteit, mij telefoon is geen top video camera.

9 comments:

ON5ZO said...

Great stuff Bas, thanks for that.
My antenna was set to the USA and honestly I did not have the splatter. I would have QSY'd or had a frequency fight over it if I did.

So I think I come through just fine because I seem to be on a clear QRG, yet no one copies me because of the splatter...

73 and CU in the next one.
Also happy holidays and all the best for 2014.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Franki, the splatter came from russia. That was the back of your beam and probabely the cause you didn't hear it. If I had a directional antenna as well I would have received you with 5/9 and echo probabely and without the splatter. Hopefully I will get my antennamast up one of these years and have some decent antennas up in the air. Merry christmas and a happy&healthy 2014 to you and yours. 73, Bas

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hallo Bas, leuk filmpje, en natuurlijk mooi resultaten. 73 Paul

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Paul, tja de resultaten vooral vanuit de auto zijn zeer goed. Alleen het aantal QSO's blijft een beetje achter. Maar goed, was af en toe afgeleid door de kleine meid. Het is niet anders als je Pappa bent ;-). 73, Bas

This Winding Road said...

Great video, Bas! Nice job in the contest! I did not make many more QSO's than you. Band was pretty darn good! When your video first started, it reminded me of why I like CW so much. That splatter is tough for me to filter out even on my BIG Icom as my hearing is getting worse the older I get. I hope to catch you on the band sometime! 73 and happy holiday's my friend!

ON5ZO said...

That's why I would like to have a second antenna that's a bit lower and aimed to 90° from here. To make my presence known in East EU :-)

About 'one of these years': a long time ago I was in the same antenna situation as you, and another ham told me that 'it all starts with a dream'. So keep dreaming and one day...

73!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Phil, I know in CW it's easier. And I know I really have to learn CW some day. Till then I enjoy the radio as it is now. But anyway, glad you enjoyed the video...73, Bas

Hans said...

Hallo Bas, dat is een interessante video. Deze echo's hoorde ik meer tijdens de 10m contest. Mooie score heb je gehaald in die paar uurtjes. 73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, ik vind het al bijzonder dat ik ze hoor met de mobiele antenne en met mijn verticaal. Vroeger op 11m met een beam waren de echo's veel sterker nog. Betekend dat de condities erg goed zijn. De score vind ik zelf tegenvallen, in 4 uur tijd zou je ongeveer 160 QSO's minimaal moeten halen. Maar goed, ik werd af en toe afgeleid. 73, Bas