Sunday, September 8, 2013

(Wet!) SSB Fieldday contest fun

MP-1 set up with plastic bag protecting the coil
A very wet fieldday contest but fun. The weather before the contest was reasonable and now the contest is over the sun is starting to get through the clouds. But in between....we had rain, rain and rain. I started the contest by building a inverted-V for 40m en setup my MP-1 together with my little helper. As the weather forecast was bad I placed the MP-1 near the glasshouse and operated from inside to stay dry. I made 76 QSO's in the end and that is a lot more as last year, the majority of course was on 40m. I guess that inverted-V was helping. The China and Japan contacts on 20m saturday evening were great, that is what makes the hobby fun. I've been trying 15m for a while but was not able to make a single QSO strange enough. Setting up the MP-1 for 15m I had some trouble with the telescopic whip when extracting it. A very tiny piece jumped out of the  antenna into the grass, after 15 minutes of searching I found it again. Then I heard 5B4AIF coming in very loud but I was calling in DIG
MP-1 + inv-V
mode, no output on SSB though and I didn't notice. So he didn't hear me and by the time I discovered the pile up was to big to break through, no luck on 15 this time. A contact on 40m sundaymorning puzzles me, I did receive it as VA5N but I can't find it on QRZ.com or any other site. I've been listening to this station for a while but couldn't make anything else from his call. Hope he does send me a eQSL so I can verify, Canada would be a great DX with my QRP portable station. Well, although it was all just in my back yard it could easily anywhere else. I used my FT-817 and 7Ah battery and trickle charged by a little solar panel. The weather was bad but the fun was great!


Tiny piece from the MP-1
Een natte velddag contest, maar wel veel plezier. Het weer voor de contest was prima en nu de contest over is begint de zon weer de schijnen. Maar tijdens de contest was het regen regen en nog eens regen...We begonnen aan de contest met het opbouwen van de antenne's. Met de hulp van mijn dochter werden een inverted-V voor 40m en op een driepoot de MP-1 neergezet. Omdat het weerbericht slecht weer voorspelde hebben we de MP-1 in de buurt van de kas gezet en in de kas even een tafeltje voor de radio en accu zodat we lekker droog bleven. Totaal maakte ik 76 QSO's waarvan de meeste op 40m dankzij de inverted-V. De contacten met China en Japan op 20m waren natuurlijk de topper, dat maakt de hobby nou zo leuk. Ik heb ook nog even 15m geprobeerd maar werd daar door niemand gehoord. Overigens had ik nog even een probleempje met de MP-1 toen ik die afstelde op 15m, er vloog een plaatje uit de telescoop antenne, natuurlijk ergens in het gras.
My little helper
Ja, vind zoiets maar weer, na een kwartier toch gelukt om het weer te vinden en de antenne kon weer in elkaar. En pech komt nooit alleen, ik hoorde 5B4AIF keihard binnenkomen, en ik maar roepen terwijl de radio in DIG mode stond. Geen output dus in SSB, dus ook geen QSO, toen ik er achter kwam was de pile up dusdanig dat het niet meer lukte, geen 15m QSO's dus. Een QSO op zaterdagmorgen met VA5N heb ik vraagtekens bij, ik kan hem namelijk niet vinden op QRZ.com en ook nergens anders. Ik heb een tijd naar dit station geluisterd maar kon ook niks anders van zijn call maken. Misschien stuurt hij nog een eQSL dan kan ik het verifiëren. Canada zou wel weer leuk zijn op 40m QRP. Nou goed, dit was allemaal uit mijn achtertuin, het had net zo goed ergens anders kunnen zijn. Gewerkt werd met de FT-817 en een accu van 7Ah die gevoed werd met een klein zonnepaneel. Het weer was erg slecht maar het plezier was er niet minder door.



2 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bas, great work on field day and as for the VA5N call I went to the RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada) website and was unable to find that as a registered call. It would be great if you do get a QSL from them as it will clear up the call issue.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, I've been looking for possible matches in QRZ.com but nothing sounds like "victor". I should have made a recording from it. A lesson learned. 73, Bas