Sunday, June 23, 2013

PESK Holland


No, it's not a new PSK mode! PESK is the callsign of the 60 year old tugboat "Holland" which is very well known on the Island of Terschelling. As you readers know my XYL and I visited Terschelling a couple of weeks ago and stayed in a B&B called "de Holland" named after the ship. Since there where a couple of paintings of the ship hanging in the pension my eye of course went to the HF antenna. Well, back home I found a youtube video of the ship from last year, when I viewed the shot (8:36) made in the radioroom I spotted a Elecraft KX3 on the table. So searching for amateurradio and tugboat Holland it soon directed me to PA3RON. Ron is a volunteer radio-officer (spark) aboard the ship. Probabely the radio was his. Unfortenately till now I didn't get a answer on my e-mail to him. So, I am interested in the antenna's and the search goes on. Even in the time of the multi information provider internet not everything can be found, although it's just what you're looking for. Sometimes the information can be found at obscure sites, sometimes the description is completely different. Anyway, of course I found the official website from tugboat "Holland", it does not have much info about the radio equipment or antenna's used. Then I came across a unofficial site from one of the volunteers Hans. Hans was a technician at the dutch airforce before retirement and restored some of the old radio equipment at the ship. Hans made a very interesting website about the "Holland" which tells a lot more then the official site. Especially about the radioroom which has my interest of course! Well, I send an e-mail to Hans to get some more info about the antennas. But Hans could not tell me anything other then the manufacturer which was probabely "Ships Services" a company like "Radio Holland".  I cannot find anything about this company at all. Later he sent me some pictures of the antennasystem from when the ship was in service and the setup now. I got permission to publish them here. May be someone can tell some more about the use of so many different HF wire antennas on a ship. As far as I can see on the pictures the antenna system consists both 2 loop receiving antennas and a kind of longwire or may be more to transmit? A similair antenna system can be found on the tugboat "Elbe".



All pictures are published with permission of Hans Biersteker 
Alle foto's zijn gepubliceerd met toestemming van Hans Biersteker



Nee, het is geen nieuwe PSK mode! PESK is de callsign van de 60 jaar oude sleepboot "Holland" die erg bekend is op het eiland Terschelling. Zoals de meeste lezers weten zijn mijn XYL en ik een paar weken geleden op Terschelling geweest en hebben daar gelogeerd in een pension genaamd "de Holland", uiteraard genoemd naar het schip. In het pension hingen een aantal schilderijen van het schip en uiteraard ging mijn belangstelling uit naar de HF antenne's. Terug thuis ben ik eens wat gaan zoeken via google en vond ik onder andere een leuke filmpje op youtube van het schip, afgelopen jaar gemaakt. Een scene daarin (8:36) geeft de radiohut weer met daar tussen de oude scheepzendontvangers een Elecraft KX3. Dus gezocht naar amateurradio en sleepboot Holland, dit bracht me al gauw op de QRZ pagina van PA3RON. Ron is een vrijwillig radioofficier (spark) op het schip, waarschijnlijk was het zijn radio? Helaas kreeg ik op een e-mail naar hem geen antwoord. Maar ik ben geïnteresseerd in de antennes dus de zoektocht ging door. Zelf in de tijd van onze multi informatie provider internet kan nog niet alles zomaar gevonden worden. Ik kwam op de officiële website van sleepboot "Holland" maar de informatie daar op m.b.t. radio is summier. Na even verder zoeken kwam ik op een onofficiële site van een vrijwilliger Hans. Hans was vroeger technicus bij de luchtmacht en heeft veel van de oude apparatuur op het schip gerestaureerd. Ik stuurde Hans een e-mail voor wat meer info maar hij kon me niet anders vertellen dat de antenne's waarschijnlijk zijn gemaakt door een firma "Ships Services" zoiets als "Radio Holland". Ik kan over deze firma niet vinden helaas. Later kreeg ik nog wat foto's van de antenne situatie in vroeger jaren en nu. Ik heb toestemming gekregen ze hier te publiceren. Misschien kan iemand er meer over het gebruik van zoveel verschillende HF draad antenne's op een schip vertellen. Zover ik kan zien op de foto's zijn er 2 "loop" antenne's om mee te ontvangen en een soort langdraad om mee te zenden. Een soortgelijk antennesysteem heb ik gevonden op zeesleper "Elbe".

Original antenna when in service



Antenna at the moment

4 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, very nice to have the pic's sent to you. Very nice seeing the KX3 in the pic as well. I wonder now that it's up on your blog if anyone who reads about it has in fact contacted the tug.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, well I'm not really interested in the relationship between amateurradio and the ship. It's just the antennas I'm interested in. Just for fun and how thing work. I'm shure there are a lot that contacted one of the volunteers on the ship by amateurradio. 73, Bas

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas,

That's a fantastic entry! Watching the video's made me feel like I was back on the sea's again. The "open" face engine was a real delight too. I could almost feel the oil and the heat. On the top deck, I could almost taste the salt and feel the wind in my face.

And the radio room.....nice pictures with morse code running in the background. Really nice!

Thanks for posting!

PE4BAS, Bas said...

It was a pleasure. Thanks for your comment and very nice you enjoyed the post. 73, Bas