Friday, June 7, 2013

From the mobile today

Working on the new shack gives some unexpected hobby possebilities. I had to bring some tools from the job we need to work with this weekend and again I could not hold them on my bicycle. So, I had my FT817 with me in the car again. At lunchbreak I first tried for 10m, I received ZD7FT from St.Helena very well. But the pile-up was huge and I tried my luck on 12m, no response after several CQ calls. Then I tuned over 20, 17 and 15m. It was clear there was some kind of black out. There was not much activity at all, not much QRM either. But at last I worked AO1WED with my QRP mobile station on 15m and got a report 5/7. Even with bad propagation the converted DV27 is still doing the job!

Werken aan de nieuwe shack geeft soms onverwachte hobby mogelijkheden. Dit keer moest ik wat groot gereedschap mee hebben om mee te werken dit weekend en die natuurlijk niet mee konden op de fiets. Dus weer mijn FT817 meegenomen. In de middagpauze eerst 10m beluisterd. Ik ontving daar ZD7FT vanuit St.Helena vrij goed, maar de pile up was gewoon niet om door te komen. Daarna omlaag naar 12m en een paar keer CQ geroepen, helaas geen reactie. Even 20, 17 en 15m beluisterd. Het is duidelijk dat er vandaag een soort blackout was, bijna geen station te horen en ook weinig QRM. Maar op 15m toch nog AO1WED gewerkt met mijn QRP mobiele station. Ik kreeg als rapport 5/7. Toch niet gek met mijn omgebouwde DV27 die ook bij weinig condities goed presteert.

8 comments:

Jspiker said...

Hello Bas,

A very nice contact with Spain!.

BTW/ St Helena used to have a "one day a year" radio broadcast from that island. I always thought it was a great thing to listen to on the SWL band. I don't know if they're still doing it now but it was great fun at the time. I think I have a QSL card from them somewhere.

Used to find a live stream on the web.

Hans said...

Hallo Bas,

Mooie verbinding hoor, zeker gezien het feit dat de HF-band vrijdagmiddag volledig dicht zat. Dan is die verbinding mobiel naar Spanje echt niet verkeerd.

73 Hans, PE1BVQ

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello John, yes I know about the St.Helena radiostation. As far as I can find the were on air in 2009. Don't know about it later on. I worked ZD7FT once on 17m a few years ago. 73, Bas

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Hans, ach op het moment van het QSO dacht ik niet dat het bijzonder was. Maar en het lezen van een paar blogs over de condities die middag en mijn eigen ervaring met het beluisteren van de banden bleek het dus wel anders. Het kn geen elke dag USA, Japan of Australië zijn ;-). 73, Bas

PH0NO said...

Hé Bas, ik was ook actief in het noorden vrijdag (Drenthe & Friesland) en heb vnl. Europa gewerkt. Condities waren niet best. Pas later in de middag ging 15m een beetje open en kon ik YC werken. Ik was toen natuurlijk niet QRP... 73, Lars.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hallo Lars, ja ik heb het ergens gelezen dat je aktief zou zijn geloof ik vanaf wat bijzondere WFF locaties? Ik denk wel dat ik een stuk meer zou kunnen werken als ik met 100W zou zitten. Maar vind QRP veel te leuk ;-) 73, Bas

VE9KK said...

Good evening Bas, great work on getting the contact and it goes to show you that even with so so conditions and QRP power the contact is still possible.
Mike

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mike, yep who needs good propagation anyway ;-) Just kiddin'.
I appreciate a QSO under difficult circumstances a lot better as if it all goes easy. 73, Bas