Saturday, January 7, 2012

Storm damage and what I have learned

Collage of photos, click to enlarge.
Actually it's a pity the beam has gone before I could make any tests. One of the loop antenna supports snapped and I had to cut the wire. But I can overlook the damage. My most important all band vertical is still working. And it's nothing compared to the damage my "neighbour" station PA1A has. His 150ft (45m) Rohn tower with yagi antennas has snapped. He has been lucky it did not fall on his new house, don't know what happened to the yagis exactly. Actually same thing (cause) happened to me if you take a look at the photo, although  my "tower" was only 16ft (5m). What I learned already this new year is that "high towers catch much wind". I extended my loop antenna from just 7m to 8m heigth last year and it didn't work out. Sometimes a little difference has a huge impact on the construction. I'll repair the loop and will take it to just 7m again to be on the safe side. We can't joke with nature and since I live near the coast wind can sometimes be very malicious.


Windchart  from PA1A website: 34m/s=120km/h
Eigenlijk is het jammer dat de beam al kapot is voordat ik hem kon testen.  En van de horizontale loop is 1 van de masten gebroken ik heb de loop door moeten knippen. Maar goed het is te overzien. De belangrijkste verticale multiband antenne staat nog steeds gelukkig. En het is niets vergeleken met de schade die "buurtstation" PA1A heeft. Zijn 45 meter hoge Rohn mast is volledig verwoest. Hij heeft nog geluk dat het gevaarte niet op zijn nieuwe huis gevallen is, weet niet wat er met de yagi onderdelen gebeurt is. Eigenlijk is bij mij exact hetzelfde gebeurt, grote verschil is echter dat mijn mast maar 5 meter hoog was. Wat ik dit jaar alweer geleerd heb is "hoge antennemasten vangen veel wind" net zoals met "hoge bomen....". Afgelopen jaar mijn horizontale loop verhoogt van een kleine 7m naar 8m, soms kunnen kleine aanpassingen grote gevolgen hebben. Ik ga de loop repareren maar hang hem mooi weer op 7m om veilig te zitten. Zo heel veel zal het niet uitmaken. We kunnen de natuur niet temmen en aangezien ik dicht bij de kust woon kan de wind soms zeer verraderlijk zijn.



4 comments:

KL8DX said...

Bas, sorry to hear of your damage! Weather is sure our enemy! I deal with winds on a regular basis and when I lived in the lower 48, it was lightning I worried about. Proper guying is so important and no matter how much we spend and how heavy duty our equipment is, Mother Nature always has the upper hand. I pace the floors when we have a 60 to 70 mph wind and that's only with a 40 foot tower. There have been many times I'm thankful I have a small station.

Jspiker said...

Sorry to see this Bas....mother nature can be a real bummer sometime!

Bert, PA1B said...

Bas, dat is niet mis. Het ziet er heftig uit. Ik hoop dat je de beam nog kunt repareren. Voor Henk PA1A ziet het er slechter uit. Ik ben blij met mijn immedels gerepareerd Inverted Vee. Succes.

PE4BAS, Bas said...

@Phil, I'm shure the weather is not that extrem as in Alaska here. But it is just what you count on. If I knew we would have such a heavy storm I would not install the beam like I did.

@John, sometimes I wished I had just a indoor antenna like you....

@Bert, die beam is te repareren. Maar is niet echt nodig, heb er nog een paar liggen :-)

73, Bas